Gloria Ramirez, a 31-year-old woman with cervical cancer, went to the hospital in 1994 because she had great difficulty breathing. All the doctors who came into contact with this woman’s body began to show symptoms of intoxication, such as dizziness, itching, and also began to hyperventilate. It was concluded that Gloria’s body, without any possible explanation, was toxic.
This story took place at the Riverside General Hospital in California, United States. From her arrival, everything seemed to be normal, except for the discomfort of the patient. According to the Discover magazine, it was reported that Gloria was receiving the medications that are normally administered to decrease her agitated heart rate, along with an oxygen mask.
While doctors were attempting to resuscitate her, they noticed that her body emitted a strange garlic-like odor and that her skin appeared to be covered in an oily sheen. Shortly thereafter, several of the professionals who were attending to her began to feel dizzy and experience nausea.
As the medical professionals realized the strange situation, they decided to transfer the patient to another area of the hospital, but even there, the symptoms persisted. One of the doctors attempted to take a blood sample to analyze it, but found something he had never seen before: the patient’s blood appeared to be covered in white crystals.
Despite the efforts to find out what was happening, a team of experts in chemistry and toxicology was called in, but no one was able to discover the exact cause of Gloria Ramirez’s body’s strange behavior. As the doctors continued to work on her, more and more people began to feel the same symptoms they had experienced before.
After the incident, nurses and staff who had contact with Gloria experienced various symptoms and health problems. Some nurses reported a burning sensation in their skin and eyes, while others reported respiratory problems, nausea, and vomiting.
One of the nurses who had been in direct contact with Gloria during her admission to the hospital developed a lung problem that left him disabled and in need of a lung transplant to survive. Another nurse also developed severe respiratory problems and required hospitalization.
Several other staff members also suffered long-term effects, including headaches, weakness, and lung damage. The doctors who treated Gloria at the hospital also experienced health problems, with some reporting symptoms similar to those of radiation.
In an attempt to discover what was happening, a team of chemistry and toxicology experts was called in. However, no one was able to discover the exact cause of Gloria Ramirez’s body’s strange behavior.
Theories of the toxic death
Sadly, Gloria died shortly after arriving at the hospital, but her case remains a subject of study and debate. It is believed that she may have been taking medication for arthritis, but there has also been speculation about possible exposure to toxic substances or dangerous chemicals in her workplace.
Another theory suggested that Gloria had been consuming methamphetamine, which could explain her strange behavior and the presence of chemicals in her body. However, this theory was debunked by her family, who claimed that Gloria did not use drugs and had no knowledge of any addiction problems.
Another theory suggested that Gloria had been deliberately poisoned, possibly by someone who had some interest in her death. However, this theory lacked evidence and no signs of poisoning were found in the autopsy.
The drug theory, which sounds more logical, is based on the possibility that Gloria Ramirez was taking medications containing dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), which is a substance that can metabolize into dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2) and release methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) and sulfur dioxide (SO2). DMSO has been used in some medications to treat conditions such as arthritis and back pain.
That theory suggests that if Gloria Ramirez was taking a medication containing DMSO, when she was given oxygen in the hospital, it reacted with the DMSO in her body and released the toxic gas dimethyl sulfide (DMS), which is known for its adverse health effects. The presence of DMS could explain the symptoms experienced by hospital staff members, such as eye and skin irritation, as well as difficulty breathing.
However, this theory has not been completely proven and remains a subject of debate and speculation. Some toxicology experts argue that the amount of DMSO needed to produce a sufficient amount of DMS would be extremely high, making this theory unlikely. Additionally, there is no evidence that Gloria Ramirez was taking medications containing DMSO at the time of her hospitalization.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding her death, the case of Gloria Ramirez has led to important changes in safety and protection protocols for medical workers in the United States and around the world. It has also been the subject of many scientific investigations and documentaries seeking to find a more complete and accurate explanation of what happened that night at Riverside General Hospital.
You may be interested in: Tsutomu Yamaguchi: the man who survived 2 atomic bombs.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Español